Joyce A. Sessoms, M.Ed. is a lifelong learner and innovator. Months after her retirement, she used her 30+ years of experience in the social work and education fields to launch the ARK Educational Consulting, Inc.
In 2007, Joyce Co-Founded Vine and Vessels Christian Writer's Fellowship, a ministry that hosts an annual writer's conference which serves surrounding communities.
She authored "SuccessAbility! Taking the Burden Out of Navigating High School" as a resource for students to stay on track for graduation.
Mrs. Sessoms earned her Master's Degree in Education through Wilmington University where she is currently a Doctoral Candidate for a degree in Educational Leadership
I was listening to 88.7 The Bridge a few days ago, and wanted to share some very sensible, timely information that the commentator offered to parents.
As a way to further involve yourself in your child’s life, try these three things:
1. When you pick up your child from school each day, or when they arrive home from school, ask them how their day was. Listen to their response and an entire conversation may develop.
2. Ask your student if there was one thing they could change about their day or their school, what would that be.
3. Ask your student if there is any way you can be of help in making those changes.
4. Engage your student in a discussion of the most recent book they have read.
5. If they have not engaged in reading for pleasure in a while, suggest some age-appropriate books they can pick up from their local library. 6. Have the discussion once the book is finished.
These are great conversation starters to increase involvement in students’ everyday lives. The competition for your child’s attention is fierce: technology being at the forefront. We have to get their attention back and help them to refocus on what is important. The ARK Staff and Volunteers are here to help!
Copyright © 2014 - 2021 The ARK Educational Resource Center - All Rights Reserved. The ARK is a 501 C3 Non-Profit Organization
Sponsored by: The Martin Feldman Foundation